Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Alas, I am so very behind in my blogging. I have since finished Catching Fire and Mockingjay from the Hunger Games trilogy and Dead End Gene Pool.

I have to say: I loved the Hunger Games trilogy. At some point while reading Catching Fire, I realized that the writing isn't really that great. I mean, it isn't bad, but it isn't particularly good either. The main strength of the trilogy is really the story and Collins's ability to craft characters you just can't let go of, whether they're particularly likable or not. All of the books in the trilogy pretty much fit my idea of a page-turner: not too difficult to understand, but extremely difficult to put down.

Dead End Gene Pool is Wendy Burden's memoir and it is, to say the least, hilarious. This may be her family and her life, but she does not sugarcoat a thing. It is all out there in the open and reading it gives a kind of voyeuristic pleasure that makes  you never want to stop. It's hard to believe some of this familial insanity, but at the same time, it all falls so neatly into the I-couldn't-make-this-shit-up-if-I-tried category. It's a funny and interesting read. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment