Tuesday, March 1, 2011

At least my iTunes is getting a workout...

Ambitions for this semester have come crashing down. It is so catastrophic I cannot even begin to describe it here. And really, you don't read my blog for accounts of horrific failure at life. Or do you? Well that's depressing....


ANYWAY, I had this grand plan where I was going to examine discussion threads in one of my groups on goodreads.com and pick out discourse markers in posts and then write about it in my brilliant paper for my linguistics/anthropology class. This plan was grand. This plan was brilliant. This plan is dead. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough, but it appears as though most of my co-bibliophiles online DO NOT USE discourse markers. In their posts anyway.

What is this insanity?!

"Well Bluestocking," you must be saying, "look harder."
"But I have looked for an entire ten minutes!" I shall reply
"Suck it up" I assume you will say
"What if I just analyze this blog?" I suggest?
"Lazy narcissist."
"Quite possibly."

As much as I dislike the idea of analyzing myself, it might be my best chance. The people posting on these threads are far too articulate for their own goods. I was pretty much banking on these discourse markers being so ingrained in our everyday speech that we use them in our written "speech" as well. Damn.

Now I wish I had finished knitting that thinking cap....

No comments:

Post a Comment