Thursday, October 27, 2011

There's a book for that

I may or may not have mentioned this at some point, but I've decided to start running. Now, if you've ever met me, that sounds like the most outlandish statement in the world. I hate to run. I loved playing soccer and rugby, but my coaches were always frustrated by the fact that I didn't run.

So why the change of heart?

No idea. I just decided one day, and now I'm actually feeling motivated. Since I really am trying to be healthy in every way, I need to hop on any motivation train that comes my way. I love the idea of running, and after doing extensive reading (because that's what I do) about how to start running, it does seem like something of which I really am capable.

So last weekend I went on an expedition to Fleet Feet. It is a great store, and if you're looking for anything running-related, I seriously suggest you head their way (and no, they aren't paying me, I just had a very good experience with them. They could totally pay me with free merchandise though....) The woman helping me watched me walk, measured my feet sitting and standing, and then recommended shoes and inserts she thought would be right for my feet. After trying on a few different pairs (with and without the inserts) and walking and running around inside and outside, I picked my shoe. I'd have a picture, but I do not have my life together that much, so I'll post a picture of my new running gear at some point in the near-ish future.

After spending lots of time browsing all the gear and reminding myself of the difference between "need" and "want," I headed to the cash register with my shoes and inserts.

....and one other thing.

Yep. I bought a book at a running store. Only me.

The book is Running for Mortals and I only had to read the title to know I needed that book. I've only read the introduction so far, but even that has gotten me ready to go!

I have a not-so-irrational hatred of treadmills, so I want to go running outside. My plan is to go running on the bike path this Saturday, since it's usually starting to get dark by the time I get home from work and the path doesn't have lights.

I have a feeling that turning myself into a runner will be a long and (possibly) interesting saga. Stay tuned for horror stories.

Meanwhile, I'll be reading my book...

No comments:

Post a Comment