Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review of Hassie Calhoun: A Las Vegas Novel of Innocence

I finished this book the other day, and now I'm finally getting a chance to post a review. So, without further ado Hassie Calhoun: A Las Vegas Novel of Innocence by Pamela Cory:

Hassie Calhoun comes out June 1, just in time for summer vacation. Keep in mind, this is all coming from someone who brings The Aeneid to the beach, but I think this is the type of book people are talking about when they mention a "beach read." Personally, I have very little patience when it comes to books like this. The plot was circular and most of the characters hair-pullingly stagnant and just plain unbearable. I hated the characters. Truly hated them. In my opinion, they all need to wake up and get a life (get lives? I don't mean one collective life). This book is apparently the first in a series though, so maybe that comes later? I just felt like as much as the narrative tried to move on, the focus remained constant. There were places or characters that would have made the book much more interesting had they been elaborated upon, but instead they were just sort of side notes — mentioned when it was convenient and then forgotten.

In the end, Hassie Calhoun just isn't my style. Given a choice, it isn't what I would pick to read. That being said, there's tons of drama and a peek (which makes up with style what it lacks in exactitude) at Sin City during the hey day of Sinatra and the Rat Pack. It's a good-sized book, but you can get through it quickly. I didn't like it that much, but who's to say it won't suit others as a fun beach read? Not I, said the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment