Thursday, May 19, 2011

Catching up

So it's been about a century since I've updated. In my defense, I had my thesis, finals, and graduation to deal with. Now that's all over and I'm home and avoiding unpacking. I can't get away with that much longer though, so I'll have to just suck it up and do it. The main problem is that there isn't really anywhere to put all of the stuff, even after I have it organized.

Since my last post, I've finished a few books: The Eyre Affair, Zel, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. I pretty much enjoyed all of them.

For whatever reason, it took me quite a long time to finish The Eyre Affair. I had some trouble getting into it at first, but it eventually caught and held my interest. It's essentially a mystery that takes place in an alternate universe where literature is a big deal. I don't think I'd mind living there. Anyway, The Eyre Affair is actually the first in a series of Thursday Next books. Even though I enjoyed it, I don't see myself continuing with the series. I could be wrong, though. It has been known to happen.

Zel is an alternative telling of the story of Rapunzel. It's short YA, but a great read. A lot of YA can't really hold my attention, but that was certainly not an issue with Zel.

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is a retelling of Cinderella (anyone seeing a pattern here?) by Gregory Maguire, author of Wicked, Son of a Witch, etc. Again, it was an enjoyable read, but I'm not sure I have that much more to say about it.

The True Story of Hansel and Gretel isn't exactly a retelling of the traditional story, but it takes its cues from it. It is actually a story of two children managing to survive in Poland during WWII. I don't want to give too much away, so I'll just say that it's an intriguing story and I highly recommend it.

And with that, I take my leave. I should be posting another book review in the near future, but right now, Jeopardy is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment