Friday, August 5, 2011

Cautiously Optimistic is the new black


So last summer on Goodreads, I kept seeing people talking about some book I’d never heard of: The Help. It was getting a lot of hype, which often makes me back away slowly since I feel like hype only leads to me being disappointed once I’ve actually read the damn book. Well, I caved. I was at the library and saw a copy of the book on the shelf and figured “hell. Why not?” 

Then I read (and reviewed) it. If you didn’t click on the link to read the original review let me sum it up for you: so. much. love. It was a great book. Well, it is a good book. I’m pretty sure that it hasn’t decreased in quality since the last time I read it. 

Anyway, I’m sure you can imagine my annoyance when I saw the signs advertising the movie. Actually, my first thought was “Already? Didn’t it only come out last summer? I figured I had a bit more time before I had to deal with this.” I was wrong. Apparently the film industry has run out of original ideas. 

Well, despite my general (and mostly principle-based) dislike of movie adaptations of books, I am cautiously optimistic. It looks like they may just have done the book justice. Damn, I hope so. Or I’ll be feeling a bit stabby. 

And by that I mean that I’ll have an urge to write a strongly worded letter that I’ll never end up sending. Same diff. 

The movie comes out on the 11th, so you’ll be hearing from me once I can save up enough of the money I find between the couch cushions.

No comments:

Post a Comment