Saturday, May 22, 2010

Readers... Bluestocking Revolution. Bluestocking Revolution... readers

And now for an actual introduction to this new blog…

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a bluestocking as follows:
“Of women: Having or affecting literary tastes; literary, learned” or “One who frequented Mrs. Montague’s ‘Blue Stocking’ assemblies; thence transferred sneeringly to any woman showing a taste for learning, a literary lady.”

According to Wikipedia, “A bluestocking is an educated, intellectual woman. Such women are stereotyped as being frumpy and the reference to blue stockings refers to the time when woolen worsted stockings were informal dress, as compared with formal, fashionable black silk stockings.”

The stereotype that developed is what has sparked my ‘revolution’. Reading is sexy. I know it, you know it, and hopefully a lot more people will know it as well.

I spend the greater part of my life surrounded by strong, intelligent, amazing women and there is nothing frumpy or sneer-worthy about them. It’s time to take back bluestocking and make it ours.

I don’t promise that all my posts from now on will be particularly enlightening or intelligent or even interesting, but it’s my blog and I’ll do what I want thankyouverymuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment