Sunday, July 4, 2010

Guess what, I read another book!

I finished People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks earlier today when I got up at the ass-crack of the middle of the morning to watch the Argentina vs. Germany game that started at 10:30 and not 9:30 like the other games and holy crap 4-0!

Sorry. Got distracted.

So. People of the Book. I really enjoyed this one. First of all, it’s basically a book about people who love books. My kind of people, my kind of book. The overarching story is that of the Sarajevo Haggadah and Brooks weaves an intricate web of stories throughout the history of this book and the people with whom it came in contact. People of the Book is a little bit mystery, a little bit historical fiction, and a lot bit something else that I can’t exactly place.

There was so much I wanted to say about this book because I really enjoyed it, but now I don’t know how to say it in a manner that is even mildly coherent. The bottom line is: this book was great. I loved the characters and the different stories. The mystery of the anomalies and the personal stories of all the characters that came in contact with the Haggadah as it changed hands and traveled around the world pulled me in. I devoured People of the Book and now all I want to do is read more books like it. So yea, needless to say, I highly recommend it. Read it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment