Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My latest read and my next brilliant idea

I’m reading (among other things) The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Easton Ellis and though I wanted to start with his first book (public library’s copy was checked out), I’m enjoying this one so far.

His style is not really what I expected, and neither is the book. So far it’s very much it’s-the-80s-in-LA-and-we’re-all-fucked-up, and that can sometimes be really tedious, but it works here.

The story is told by a whole cast of characters, but the reader doesn’t get any real introduction to any of them. Easton Ellis just sort of thrusts you right into the middle of it. He dives right in. This is life, so hold on tight. It can be confusing at times, but it certainly keeps you on your toes and that provides for a good enough reading experience. 

In other news, my mom and aunt went to Costco today. Without me. I may have gotten to sleep later, which is always nice, but I am still mildly distraught. I love Costco. Shopping there is so much more entertaining than it really should be. They have everything. In absurdly large quantities. They also have books, though I guess not in absurdly large quantities.

But can you imagine… Oh man. It’s the next big thing. Selling books in bulk. Books grouped by author or genre or some other category. I can see it now. Seriously. I’m writing a letter to Costco tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment