Thursday, August 19, 2010

Another review and some random observations...

I finished Talk Talk by T.C. Boyle earlier today. I don’t really know what to say about this book. The characters were interesting, as was the general concept, but the book was still somehow disappointing. I really wanted to like it. I thought I would. When I was actually reading it, I was interested enough, but once I put it down I didn’t really feel like picking it up again.

Basically, at this point all I can say about Talk Talk is that it was OK. Just OK. I think I would still call myself a T.C. Boyle fan (I really liked The Inner Circle), but Talk Talk was a miss for me.

In other news, we have gained further evidence of my complete lack of self-control. I went to the library to return a few books and pick up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (for which I've been on the waiting list since the beginning of the summer). While there I may have picked up another 2 books as well. I just couldn't help it! That brings me to 18 books checked out from the library and 8 days until I go back to school... Something tells me that I may be returning some of these books unread. The idea makes me sad, but I guess I'll get over it. My school library has a better selection anyway...

In other other news, while driving around today I passed a house with a purple port-a-potty out front. Generally port-a-potties in the front yard make me cringe, but they are an unfortunate reality in home-imporvement, so I don't judge. All this being said, I think if they have to be there, they might as well be purple. Bring some interest and class to it all, right?

Alas, I have books to read, a manuscript to edit, and a math exam for which to study. I don't mind the first two so much, but the third is the most pressing issue right now and that's just plain depressing. At least the final exam means the end of math...

No comments:

Post a Comment