Saturday, August 21, 2010

Random ramblings on cooking and my general insanity

As you may recall, one of my goals (though, to be honest I haven’t really actively pursued it or anything) is to get better at cooking. There are many things involved in cooking that cause me a great deal of anxiety, but there are a lot of things that I like as well. When I’m making something I’m comfortable with, it’s a lot of fun. I also kind of like all the prep work – the mincing and chopping and whatnot. A lot of people find prep work really dull and tedious, but I like it (except when the onions make me cry like a baby on an airplane). All that being said, I HATE peeling potatoes. Hate it. With a fiery passion. I don’t generally like peeling in general, but potatoes are the worst. They always look dirty, even after you wash them, and they’re slippery little buggers. And then there’s the fact that almost every time I inevitably almost peel off a finger or two. But no big deal, right? I don’t really need all 10 fingers…  

 My other cooking issue is that I like it a lot more when I’m not alone. Cooking with friends is a lot of fun. I guess there can sometimes be a problem of literally too many cooks in the kitchen, but I don’t like being alone while I’m cooking. Then I have to talk to myself or the pets and that just bumps me up a little more on the crazy scale.

Update:
When I got up this morning I made waffles and a kickass omelet. OK, I put the frozen waffles in the toaster, but I did pull out all the stops for the omelet, and let me tell you, it was good. So yea, when I know what I’m doing I am a master in the kitchen. Go me.




In other news, I saw The Kids are All Right with my aunt yesterday. It was a really good movie, but I was not prepared for the awkwardness of it all. I am, after all, awkward incarnate and so I’m really sensitive to awkward situations. Just watching them makes me squirm. Considering the plot of the movie, I guess I should have figured it would have its share of awkward moments, but it just never occurred to me to prepare myself for it.

But yea, it was a fun movie (even if parts of it were really awkward). I’d recommend it.  




The date of my return to school is quickly approaching and I still have much to do. Must finish editing, must finish reading all the books I've checked out of the library, must organize my life...


All I really want to do is read all the books. I feel like I'm pulled in so many literary directions right now because I want to be reading them all. I finally got The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, so I'm working my way through that in addition to everything else I was reading before. So far it's a bit slow-going, but I was warned in advance of that and I shall persevere.


OK. I'll edit (because that's the one thing on the list where I get paid) and then take breaks to read. Yes. Good plan. Getting to work. Now. Seriously. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment