Sunday, March 28, 2010

Aha! Solid proof that I'm doing my reading!

Which is not, of course, the only reason for this post.

I just got to a line about Henry McBride talking about Gertrude Stein:

"Laugh if you like, he used to say to her detractors, but laugh with and not at her, in that way you will enjoy it all much better." (p. 121).

I think perhaps we would all enjoy life much better if we laughed with people and not at them. Or I'd like to think that anyway. I'm not saying that I don't laugh at people instead of with them. I am just as guilty of basking in Schadenfreude as anyone else, possibly more so, to be entirely honest.

But I'm going to try this. If I start laughing with people instead of at them, maybe it'll catch on and then I'll feel like people are laughing with me instead of at me and I know that I will enjoy that much better.

OK, back to reading....

No comments:

Post a Comment