Friday, June 25, 2010

I just finished Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert. It was really great and I absolutely devoured it (no pun intended…. OK, pun kind of intended, but it was just begging me to go there). Not only was it a quick read, but I kind of just didn’t want to put it down.

This book was phenomenal. It was endearing and inspiring without being preach-y. Gilbert doesn’t hold anything back. She shows the reader her best and her worst and everything in between. Even better, she does it with a sense of humor, knowing that, in retrospect, some things were bad ideas, some things that seemed horrible are hilarious now, and some things were great experiences – learning, spiritual, or otherwise. She shares her story and her talks about her developing beliefs, but I never felt particularly uncomfortable reading from a non-believing standpoint.

Actually, it made me curious about the various spiritual beliefs she mentions throughout the book. Who knows? Soon you may be reading reviews of all sorts of Zen Buddhist writings. I’m up for the pursuit of knowledge, and if I attain some sort of personal peace along the way, I certainly won’t complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment