Thursday, June 17, 2010

Not so anonymous after all

So I’m coming out and admitting it: I have a problem. That’s the first step, right? Admitting you have a problem? Of course, I think that’s the first step to recovery and I’m not sure I really want to recover from this particular addiction. I, dear friends, am addicted to books. [Insert not-so-shocked exclamations here]. It’s seriously getting out of control though. I’ve fallen back into my habit of breaks in that I’m currently reading upwards of four books at any given time. In my defense, they’re (usually) different kinds of books. But yea, it is a little ridiculous and my family makes fun of me.

I’m also rereading books right now, which is kind of different for me. There are a few books that I frequently reread, but those are usually comfort reads/ books from my childhood that don’t take much time to read. So far this break I’ve reread Wicked, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, Persuasion and Invisible Man and I’m now rereading Winter’s Tale, The Count of Monte Cristo, and The Tao of Pooh. I’m also thinking of rereading The Emigrants, Fahrenheit 451 and One Hundred Years of Solitude. And I feel like I’m in the mood to reread Pride and Prejudice and maybe Ella Minnow Pea. I realize I’m mentioning all these books now without really talking about them, but I actually do intend to write more about the books I’m reading. Eventually. I promise.

Have I mentioned that I also have an ever-growing stack of books that I have yet to read next to my bed? Actually, there are now multiple stacks. They’re almost level with my mattress. Yet another indication that I may be going a bit overboard.

I’m also supposed to be doing some theoretical reading to prepare for comp lit thesising. I should probably do that…

So yea, there’s a lot of reading going on this summer. I’m OK with that though. I still can’t find my book list and it’s driving me crazy. Between my general insanity and goodreads, I have a lot of updates to make, but I can’t make them until I find the blasted list. It’s probably somewhere really stupid, but I haven’t managed to convince myself to go through the giant college bins of doom yet. I’ll probably break down and do it in the next week or so. Or I’ll give up and just re-do the list. I do have an electronic copy, but I like having a hard copy too so that I can carry it around to bookstores and the like with me (yes, I know I’m crazy. You should too by now).

I really want to pick up some books at the library. There are a lot of books that I want to read but don’t necessarily want to commit to buying because, well, I’m poor and remained unemployed. This won’t necessarily help with the reading-multiple-books-at-the-same-time conundrum, but I figure go big or go home, right? Well… something like that. Maybe this weekend I’ll get over my fear that the public library will take one look at me and throw me in library jail and then all will be right and book-filled in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment