Saturday, June 5, 2010

I'm back (sort of)...

So I've accidentally been hiding from my blog. I don't really know how one accidentally hides from something, but I'm special enough to manage it, I think. In any case, there is much to tell (not much that's interesting, but I never promised interesting), and at some point I will tell.  In the meantime, I leave you with a short little review...

Today I finished reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. It was a really good read.

It’s YA, which isn’t usually my thing, but I really enjoyed it. The protagonist is 11 year old, chemistry obsessed, Flavia de Luce, who is thrust (or thrusts herself, depending on how you look at it) into the middle of a twisted web of a murder investigation.

The book is definitely YA, but it doesn’t read the way a lot of books in the genre do. Flavia is precocious and the book has an older, more sophisticated feel.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie was also a really quick read. A page-turner, if you will. I’m not saying it’s the Next Great American Novel or anything, but it was a nice little escape from some of the more serious/heavy stuff I’m reading and it was a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment