Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lauren’s post about childhood got me thinking and now I miss mine. The thing is, I don’t have any particular moments in mind. I’m sure I enjoyed my childhood to the fullest extent and I definitely have plenty of great memories from that time of my life, but when I say that I miss childhood, I guess I’m not 100% sure what I mean. I guess I miss things being simpler, not worrying about the future and constantly fighting some sort of battle with anxiety. I miss play-dates with friends where we actually play. (Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends and love hanging out with them, even if we just end up watching a movie or something, but I sometimes I wish it was like when we were kids. Maybe this summer I’ll convince my friends that we need to play. I’m not entirely sure how to do that as a 20-year old, but that’s a dilemma for a different post.) I think sometimes I just miss being a kid. Especially now, where I’m theoretically an adult, but don’t feel ‘grown-up’ at all. I can’t make decisions for myself, I am never completely sure of my decisions, and sometimes I just really need my mommy. On a more practical level, tax and medical forms still provoke a deer-in-headlights type expression from me and nearly always result in a phone call beginning with “mooom?” When I get frustrated looking for something online, I call my mom. You know that summer language program I applied for? My mom found it. Basically, I have a future as a crazy cat lady who calls her mom at least once a day. I think there are probably worse things in life…

No comments:

Post a Comment